Boxing News Today
Don't Miss

Antonio DeMarco Set to Meet Jessie Vargas

Jessie VargasJessie Vargas the junior welterweight secondary champion makes his second defense of the title when he faces Antonio DeMarco the former titleholder as a lightweight.

The fight will take place November 22 in Macau, China, announced promoter Bob Arum from Top Rank.

The fight will be the opening match of the television part of a PPV card on HBO that will be headlined by Manny Pacquiao the welterweight champion defending against Chris Algieri.

Vargas will make the second defense of his secondary title. This will be the third straight southpaw that Vargas will be facing in the square circled.

Vargas won the belt when he earned a controversial decision over Russian Khabib Allakhverdiev April 12 during the undercard of a rematch between Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley Jr.

Vargas had his initial title defense August 2 outpointing another left-hander from Russia Anton Novikov who was undefeated until losing to Vargas.

Vargas, who is 25-0 with 9 KOs, will go against DeMarco, who is from Mexico and 31-3-1 with 23 KOs.

Vargas said that DeMarco was a rugged, tough fighter who is in the ring to fight.

Since being knocked out during the eighth round and thus losing the world lightweight title in November of 2012 to Adrien Broner, DeMarco is undefeated in three bouts all in the welterweight class.

His latest bout was a 10-round lopsided unanimous decision over Lanardo Tyner August 23. In the fight, DeMarco was knocked down during the first round. However, he dominated the next 9 rounds.

Arum said that he had been considering other matches as the opening televised slot for the pay per view event including one that involves the up and coming Gilberto Ramirez a super middleweight who is Mexican. However, Arum opted on the Vargas- DeMarco bout, hoping that the two having Mexican backgrounds would help with sales for the pay per view event.